Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Twitter Drama

While I was sitting in my JOUR 3410 Lab, taking notes about social media and networking, my T.A. brought up that oh so famous twitter page on the projector screen.

Ok, I don't LOVE twitter, but I do recognize it's wonder in networking and communicating. It's what I have to thank for my micro-involvement with USA TODAY, but that's another story for another day.

For those of you that are frequent twitter-ers (there's probably something else you're called), you'll understand what I mean when I say "trending topics." Up on the screen, while Graybeal lectured about twitter's journalism wonder, I noticed the phrase "No God" topped the list of topics currently buzzing across the twitter world.

No God?
Come again?

So, me being me, that super awesome (shameless plug aimed at encouraging myself) short blond journalist girl who writes a Religion blog could not simply ignore something that so many folks seem to be talking about. And when I say many folks, I mean MANY folks. My twitter account's open in another tab, and in my search I've had over 4,000 updates since I've had this post open. I'll probably be up in the 10 thousands before this is published.

I moved my cursor over the hyperlink and began my own investigation. After scrolling through hundreds of tweets with "No God," I saw two sides of the issue unfold. Apparently, earlier in the day, Christian Twitter users decided to update their accounts with, "Know God, Know Peace. No God, no peace."

By retweeting (or re-posting) this particular tweet, these users hoped it would find its way to the trending topic list, as an act of spreading goodness. In an unfortunate twist, Atheist users recognized the topic as a plug for Christian beliefs, and decided to turn the tables.---Gee, didn't someone else turn the tables? It was a long time ago...(irony, oh wow)--- With a move showing poor sportsmanship, the Athiest users started retweeting only half of the phrase: the "no god" part.

It's all been taken out of context, and it shows bad taste. By taking things out of the necessary context needed for understanding the subject at hand, the meaning gets distorted. Warped. Dismantled.

Regardless of beliefs, this is just drama. High School drama.

Instead of being respectful of what the religious users were attempting, these proudly proclaimed Atheists bullied their way to the top of the trend list by victimizing people who simply tried to share something they felt showed goodness. Sadly, thousands of people continue to join the "following," despite the meaness behind it all.

Thank you, for bringing those woes from our school years to Twitter. Oh, and don't forget to steal their lunch money after you give them a black eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment