Thursday, October 1, 2009

Origin Into Schools

This morning as I wandered through my living room (usually I'm traipsing around campus off to my contemporary lit class; it was canceled today), I noticed a lot of loud commotion. Only instead of it being my silly cats ripping and roaring through the room, my attention moved from the floor to my television: it was the cast of The View. Bickering, arguing, whatever. Nothing about this discovery interested me as I continued on my quest to the kitchen, but once I heard a certain name, I walked right back.

Kirk Cameron.

Ok, we love him. Just be honest. He played the hilarious and troublesome Mike Seaver from that family feel good "Growing Pains," and whenever he waltzes into a discussion, usually people smile. At least, I do. Anyway, I'm not too familiar with his past or previous television bits, but I like him, and probably always will.

But, back to The View.

Apparently, from the few moments where I actually paid attention to the bickering, Cameron is working with friend Ray Comfort in promoting the give-away of a specialized publishing of Charles Darwin's "Origin of Species." Instead of the book strictly being the re-mastered original copy of Darwin's work, the particular copy Cameron is pushing is one with a introduction packed with information offering insights about the history of evolution, a time-line of Darwin's life, Darwin's racism, Darwin's discrimination of women, and Darwin's thoughts on the existence of God. It also includes supposed information exposing the unscientific beliefs that nothing created everything, and also how there is no physical proof of any species to species transitional form found in the fossil record. The introduction offers a balanced view of creationism and includes supporting facts from actual, renowned scientists that believe God created the Universe. (Einstein, Faraday, and Kepler...just to name a few.)

Obviously, I haven't read the book. If I had, I'd probably have a bit more of an opinion on all of this, but from the arguments this morning presented by Barbara Walters and all the other women on the mid-morning talk show, there's plenty to be buzzed about. A clip on YouTube starring Cameron himself, shares all the information I just mentioned above, and it was shown on The View this morning. I only watched the beginning bit while I stood in my living room, but the beginning bit still includes some pretty interesting stuff. After getting back to Athens today, I watched the clip in it's entirety, but before Cameron even goes into explaining the book, he discusses statistics about how Atheism has doubled over the past twenty years and other data about how upcoming generations are not considering themselves religious.

Now, from what I understand, this particular book won't be hitting shelves anytime soon, but it will be hitting campuses all across the nation. On Nov. 19, various individuals will be handing out these specific copies at 50 chosen Universities, for free. Yes. free. A 300-ish page book, to anyone who will take one. Cost? Zero.

Now, I'm a poor college kid, so the free thing gets me--it truly does-- but what will come of all this? This is a very dramatic attempt at getting the other side of the story, so to speak, sent to this demographic. Scientists, Psychologist, Anthropologists, and all the other -ists out there are just the same when trying to consider how we, humans--people--came to be. Evolution, Creation, bang it just happened? It's a hard thing to grasp, no matter what the belief system may be, but with this certain Introduction packing a 50 page punch into one of the most studied theories of all time, I simply wonder what will follow.

I want a copy for the simple reason of just having one.

Other information is available at http://livingwaters.com/

5 comments:

  1. I have a copy. It's worth mentioning that any attack on Darwin's character is an ad hominem abusive fallacy, given the issue of whether he was a douche or not has absolutely nothing to do with the validity of the theory of evolution. I think it is very possible to believe in both God and Evolution, after all, who are we to question his methods? At any rate, evolution has mountains of scientic evidence supporting it. Creationism is simply unscientific propaganda spread by fundamental christians who interpret the bible 'literally'.

    -Jon D. (the neighbor)

    P.S, I noticed your blog post on Facebook on my recent activities screen, I couldn't resist commenting because this is a hot button topic for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jon, it's cool. I don't have a copy, nor do I know anything about Darwin's character. But then again, I don't know him. So how could I comment on him, personally? I wouldn't go as far as saying that Creationism is propaganda, as it is just a way for some people trying to understand something. Much in the same way Evolution is a theory to understand something. Let's not get carried away and put labels on these things. Let's just be honest with what they are and their purpose for folks: understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I am not a Kirk Cameron fan (primarily due to his psycho evangelism tactics) and am an even lesser fan of The View (put a bunch of bitchy women in a room together....um...I think I'll pass) it is an interesting discussion. We are living in a time in history when Creationism and Christianity are becoming as unpopular and politically incorrect as...well...33 A.D. While it is a slow progression, when we look back 10 or even 20 years ago, the tolerance of differing views was more...tolerated. Why else would they devote time on a popular television show for thinking through this idea? Those standing against traditional Christian views are squeaking and the squeaky wheel is the one that usually gets the grease. Hollywood has power and they use it for squeaking.

    Whatever side of the line one chooses to place himself or herself, it all comes down to faith in something. Evolutionist/Athiests put their faith in science alone. If ti can't be proven empirically then it cannot be a sure thing. Creationist/Christians put their faith in God whom no one can see but strangely who has historical evidence to back Him up as well. Both have evidence supporting them yet neither side has 100% of the answers proving their points. And so we go back to faith; faith to fill in the gaps where, at our essence as humans, we come up short and want to know the answers to the big questions like, "Why am I here," "Does anyone love me," and "What happens after this life?"

    Whether something is considered propoganda or not really depends on what side you come down on. To each side, the other side's argument is just propoganda. I don't remember Athiest groups coming together to go feed and clothe Katrina or tsunami victims. It's is interesting that when 9/11 occurred church attendance increased exponentially. When it comes down to real life answers and our innate human need to feel loved and understand the "whys" of life Creationism and Christianity shine though. The old adage speaks boldly: "Actions speak louder than words."

    And if God can change the seasons, bring people back from the dead, and develop a system of efficently creating a life from one sperm and one egg, then I'm certain He can probably create anything He wants to create and make it look as old as He wants to make it look and do it in only 6 literal 24 hour days. But of course that gets into the supernatural and could only be ignorant propoganda :).

    Daniel Crosby M.A.
    (One of the "ist"...primarily in Psychology, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely adore Kirk Cameron. You know it is true.

    Honestly, I'm not really sure if this will be effective - at least in the way they are trying. Attacking people's character usually backfires, but since I love Kirk Cameron so very much, I will give him the chance to make his point. I would personally love to have a free copy of this book- I think it is important to understand the things you are for or against instead of blindly following or fighting them. And I love it when extra history is added into books to better understand them and the time period they are from.

    Jon, I agree with Sara in that I would not call Creationism progaganda. However, I do take exception to your statement that it is possible to believe in both God AND evolution. This is a very fine line to walk. True, we should certainly not question His methods and, as Daniel said, I believe He could create anything He wants in only 6 literal days. The problem with "believing" both is that you are possibly choosing to not believe the what the Bible says about creation.

    Of course, that arguement holds no merit if you do not believe what the Bible says in general. That is a completely different discussion. Maybe Sara will write about that one day?

    Daniel brings up a couple interesting and valid points- especially comparing today's intolerance of Christians to that of 33 A.D., when the Romans were persecuting Christians with abundance. That truly seems to be where our world is headed once again. Also, the idea that church attendance increased after 9/11 and other tragic instances is something people tend to forget now that so much time has past. I find it sad that people are so lukewarm and only attend church when bad things happen.

    And I totally agree with NOT being a fan of the View.

    All in all, I really hope the free copies get passed out to UGA! I would like to look into this a little more. Good topic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, so Olivia and I (Nick) have read your last blog on the Kirk Cameron and we liked it. We would like copies of this re-print of the Origin of Species....whenever that could happen. Keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete